If you’re close to retirement age or already there, you’re probably planning a lot of trips. For some, that might mean driving to Calgary to play with the grandkids, flying to New York to see a play, or relaxing on a beach in Puerto Vallarta.
But for a growing number of people over 50, 60 and 70, it means light adventure trips – where you participate in exciting physical activities that can be challenging but don’t reach the extreme level of, say, helicopter skiing or climbing Mount Everest.
Countless mature adults are exploring ideas like these:
- Kayak tours, diving, and white-water rafting.
- Safari trips to Africa or other exotic locations.
- Cycling on multi-day journeys.
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail in the Southeast U.S. or the Camino de Santiago in Spain; or exploring along the Great Wall of China.
- Snow skiing and snowboarding.
Statistics show Baby Boomers make about five pleasure trips a year and spend more money than other age groups on leisure travel. For many, it’s time to attack their bucket list of destinations.
Come share your travel plans with us and we’ll make sure you’re ready to have the time of your life!
Particularly after 50, we’ve got to stay fit so we’re ready for the opportunities of this kind of travel.
We’re here to build your strength, particularly in your legs, core and back, develop your stamina, and keep you limber.
You’ll need all of that for visiting those grandkids even more!
Last Call for the New Year’s Resolution Re-boot!
The New Year’s Resolution Re-boot 6-week challenge gets underway officially next Monday, February 3rd, but our orientation is THIS Friday, January 31st at 6:15 p.m.
You have two days left to register! I’m shutting it down on Thursday, January 30th at 4:00 p.m.
The challenge includes three “prep days” – Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so you’ll need to get signed up so that you don’t miss a thing.
Cost is $279 + GST for non-members. Includes 3x/week small group training (you pick your days/times). If you bring a friend with you, you each get a $20 discount!
Members pay $69 + GST and train according to their membership agreement. If on 2x/week contract, an extra 6 session package can be purchased for just $60 + GST. These sessions expire on March 14th.
EVERYONE gets an initial and final assessment to gauge progress – measurements, photos, plank test.
We’ll deliver simple daily nutrition lessons and accountability straight to your smartphone or email inbox (you pick!)
The nutrition portion is the “Smart Carb Program” which was a big hit with our last group of challenger – simple, sustainable habit change for the long haul!
(Further to my Monday email, this will be more of an “intention” to eat well, rather than a “resolution” to diet!)
We only have five spots left for non-members so call the studio or email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve yours!
Game Day Boneless Chicken Wings
Wings are a classic finger food to enjoy while kicking back with friends and family to enjoy game day. The crazy thing is that most wings are fried and then coated in a sauce that’s high in sugar and preservatives. While it tastes fantastic, you’re taking in way more calories than you need to.
This recipe for Boneless Chicken Wings is much healthier while tasting JUST AS AMAZING!
- Instead of frying these wings we are going to either use an air fryer (preferred method) or an oven.
- Instead of breading these wings in grains and gluten we are going to use a grain-free breading.
- Instead of tossing these wings in a sauce that’s high in sugar and preservatives we are going to make our own sauce using wholesome ingredients and tons of flavour.
Below is the classic Buffalo sauce, however, there are 5 additional sauce recipes to choose from on RealHealthyRecipes.com.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
– 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
– celery and carrot sticks (optional for serving)
¼ cup almond flour
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
2 teaspoons sea salt
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup milk (any kind)
1 egg white
1 tablespoon grain-free vodka (or apple cider vinegar)
2 cups grain-free crackers ground to a powder
¾ cup hot sauce
6 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Cut the chicken into 2-inch pieces. Arrange the three mixtures into three bowls and mix well.
2. If you are using an air fryer, place the basket near the three bowls. If you are using the oven then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Take each piece of chicken and drag it through the flour mixture, dip it in the wet mixture and roll it in the crunchy mixture. Place each coated wing in the air fryer basket or on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Air Fryer: Fry at 380 degrees F for 24 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time. Fry for another 6 minutes at 400 degrees F.
5. Oven: Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Turn on the high broil for 1-2 minutes, until the wings are golden.
6. Combine the hot sauce with the melted coconut oil. Mix until fully combined. Toss the cooked wings with the sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
One serving equals 482 calories, 11g fat, 432mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 1g fibre, 0g sugar and 26g protein.
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the “refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter and subscribe your friends.
Whenever you’re ready, here are 3 ways I can help you get healthier and happier:
1) Come in for a Custom Fitness Consultation
We’ll sit down together and discuss your health history, your goals, and simple steps you can take to achieve them and see if there is a way to work together to give you the coaching and support you need to get the results you want.
If you’d like to discuss meeting for a Consultation, just reply and put ‘Consult’ in the subject line and I’ll follow up with you.
2) I have FREE Open Office Hours during the week where you can call in and speak to me about your goals.
The call is just 15 minutes out of your week, but the insights you’ll discover could impact you for a lifetime! To schedule your FREE consultation, reply and put ‘Call’ in the subject line. We’ll set up a time that works for both of us.
3) Be my guest for a free training session.
If you’d like to come in to attend a Beginner small group training session as my guest…just reply and put “Guest” in the subject line, and I’ll get you all the details.